If you checked out my Caribbean Chicken Kebab post yesterday and was wondering what on Earth you would eat with those spicy-sweet chicken skewers, here you go. These two sides are my go-to sides for almost all occasions. They are the simplest recipes but each has a little something extra that makes them just a tad better than anything else I’ve had outside of my own kitchen.
If you like sweet German style potato salad, this isn’t the recipe for you, unless you’ve realized you’ve been eating the wrong kind of tater salad all of these years. This potato salad is rich and creamy because of the mayo and eggs but has a hint of garlic that makes it my favorite potato salad recipe. The macaroni salad is often requested in my family. I’m pretty sure it’s because of the sweet relish added that gives it just enough zing to make a recipe your friends and family will be begging you for barbecue after barbecue .
Ingredients For Potato Salad:
Yields: 6 servings
- 2lbs Baby red potatoes, quartered (no need to peel unless you prefer)
- 3/4 Cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs chopped red onions (or whichever kind you have)
- 2 Cloves grated garlic
- 2-3 Eggs
- Seasoning salt (like Lawry’s)
- Black pepper
- Add potato pieces and eggs (if not already pre-boiled) to a pot, and add enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are just fork-tender. Eggs should be hard-boiled.
- Drain potatoes and eggs in a colander and run cold water over them until cool to the touch. Drain again thoroughly.
- Peel and quarter eggs
- In a bowl add potatoes, mayonnaise, onions, garlic, and chopped eggs.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Paprika is also a great addition.
Ingredients For Macaroni Salad:
Yields: 12 servings
- 1 Box of elbow macaroni
- 1/2 Cup red onion (or whichever kind you have available)
- 1 1/4 Cup mayonnaise
- 2 heaping Tbs. India relish (or sweet relish)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Pour cooked macaroni into a colander and run cold water over macaroni until it is cool to the touch.
- Drain macaroni thoroughly and place in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in mayonnaise, onions, relish, salt, and pepper until mixed well.